Oh hey! Fortress Festival! 1st June 2024! Scarborough! I know I've been hyping this one up a lot already, but I figured I'd put together this primer for anyone who's on the fence, or even anyone who's just curious about the whole thing and is wanting the illegible logos made a little more legible!
Part 1 consists of the bands I know best, and am most excited to see (currently), and I'll be dropping follow-up parts as I dive into the acts I don't know so well.
There's a powerful Edram delegation planning on going this year, and we'll be spinning up a group chat soon, so watch this space if you'd be interested in joining!
Two Hunters by Wolves in the Throne Room (Album set!)
Of any on this list, I feel WITTR need the least introduction. One of the most influential and successful Atmospheric Black Metal groups of all time, I was absolutely enthralled by their set at Damnation last year, and as Two Hunters is possibly one of my absolute favourite albums of theirs, I can't wait to witness their rituals once again.
For the uninitiated, Triptykon is the current project of living legend Tom G. Warrior, of Hellhammer and Celtic Frost fame. First founded to pick up the torch following the latter's acrimonious breakup, and are IMHO an extremely worthy successor. Blending in Death and almost Industrial influences into BM to create their unmistakable sound, I've heard great things about their live performances, and I'm sure they're going to absolutely shred for their headline set.
If you've been plugged into the BM scene at all over the last 2 years (or been keeping up with my recs this year) you'll already be familiar with the rising star that is Blackbraid. A First Nations themed one-man project that's taken the US by storm with his blend of folk/native instrumentation and blistering Black Metal riffs.
Roads to the North by Panopticon (Album set!)
As I've already given Panopticon a huge amount of love lately, I'll not dwell, but I can't wait to see them again. Roads to the North is a perfect album from a perfect band, and they absolutely smashed their set last year. Super excited for this one!
Submission And Slavery by Lamp of Muurmur
Lamp of Muurmur's drop this year, Saturnian Bloodstorm, was an absolute treat, filled to the brim with Immortal-esque riffs and vibes. However, I really fell in love with this band with their 2021 release Submission and Slavery. Black Metal expertly blended with luxurious and languid Goth and even Post-Punk influences creating an absolutely unique and intoxicating atmosphere.
ASCENSION by Regarde Les Hommes Tomber
I stumbled across Regarde Les Hommes Tomber (who are French, quelle surprise) a couple of years back and immediately fell in love with their style. IMHO, at its core it's Melodic Black, but with a thick texture of atmosphere, sludge and some punishing yet addictive riffs and vocals, stitched together with some really top-tier production.
Patterns in Mythology by FALLS OF RAUROS
Falls of Rauros generated a lot of buzz the other year with their drop Key to a Vanishing Future, but in all honesty it never quite clicked for me until I went back and listened to Patterns in Mythology, and it all came together for me. Doomy, folky, touches of post and prog woven in creating a smooth and beautiful concoction.
Der Weg einer Freiheit by Der Weg einer Freiheit
If you combined raw, old-school sensibilities with some smart contemporary mixing and composition, and let it ferment deep in a German forest, you'd get Der Weg einer Freiheit. They made a huge splash on the scene with their self-titled demo and in my opinion, it's still their finest work, though their whole catalogue is excellent.
One of my personal favourite acts on the entire lineup, and a very important band to me, as they helped re-ignite my love of BM years back. Perfect discog, combining Crusty D-beat with Atmosblack into a raw, frosty and punchy combo that I just adore.
No comments:
Post a Comment