Sure, fine, have another one! Any semblance or consistency is out of the window as last week was crazy good for new releases. Pour one of these crucibles of liquid gold down your eardrums and start your week off RIGHT!
Cutting the Throat of God by Ulcerate
Ulcerate's 2020 release Stare Into Death and be Still was an absolute masterpiece, and truly helped Disso-death click for me for the first time. I've been eagerly awaiting the followup for a long time and holy shit it does not disappoint. Beautiful, insane chaos and one of my absolute favourite releases this year. Amazing.
REZN made me sit up and take notice last year with their full length and I was very pleasantly surprised to see they had another album out already! Doom of the slightly prog, slightly stoner variety, it hits a really sweet spot creatively. Closest comparison to my ear is middle period Mastodon but that doesn't quite do it justice. Great stuff, plus, saxophone! You love to see it! Or in this case hear it!
Of Crackling Embers and Sorrows Drowned by Brazen Tongue
Look, it's a well established fact by now that I don't actually know what Melodeath is, so when I call this album some absolutely killer Melodeath, understand that I'm incorrect, but it does whip. It's like, Blackened Melotech? It sits astride a bunch of genres but it does so with panache, some great riffs and I really love the vocal style on this thing.
The Stygian Rose by Crypt Sermon
Continuing the theme of followup, Crypt Sermon are BACK! For the uninitiated, The Ruins of Fading Light and Out of the Garden are certified Epic Doom BANGERS, and their latest cut makes it a trilogy of perfection ten years in the making. Real throwback vibes on this one, majestic and epic, building on the Candlemass foundations into a castle of RIFFS!
Legend: Forged in Defiance by FELLWARDEN
Some absolutely lovely Atmosblack for y'all! Fen's The Watcher has had this side project for a minute, but I'd yet to be too impressed, but this is absolutely top tier Atmospheric Black Metal. Fun fact, Alasdair Dunn is on drums for this thing!
Visions of Stagnant Blood by Celestial Sanctuary
Surprise Celestial Sanctuary EP! I love me some OSDM, and the first 2 tracks are some of the best CS have come out with so far in their already rock solid discog, but it's that third track where they make their first delve into Death/Doom that really clinches this for me. More, please!
Oblivion Jones by Necropanther
Hell yeah Necropanther! You know me, I'm a sucker for some Blackened Thrash and Necropanther do it in STYLE. Oh, and did I mention there's Sax on this EP? That's right, 2 Sax recs in one week, never say I don't treat y'all right.







No comments:
Post a Comment