Sunday, 7 July 2024

7 July 2024

What's up you skibidis, I'm giving a rizz-tastic sigma of new music this skibidi week, it's your so low-key skibidi on down to this list, and don't cap! Musicmaxxing is the new aura, no brainrot. Skibidi.

The Formless Fires by Kvaen

 Hell yeah! New Kvaen! I've been a big fan of Kvaen for a while now, their blend of Black and Thrash adds in the perfect Melodic and Death touches that I absolutely adore, and this album is more of that in spades. Great production and composition across the board, I love it.


 
 

Sacré Bleu! A new Inherits the Void album? Feels like it was only last week I was writing about their 2023 release, The Impending Fall Of The Stars. A fantastic blend of Atmospheric and Melodic Black Metal outta France. 


A Kindness Dealt In Venom by CONSTRUCT OF LETHE

Y'all should hopefully be well aware of my predilection for weird fuck-you-up Death Metal and this new drop from Construct of Lethe (not Leith) is that in spades! Vicious and unsettling, the Tech-ness is perfectly balanced with the Avant-Garde-ness, keeping things overwhelming but with a real texture to it. Phenomenal drumming end to end on this thing too.

 The Healer by SUMAC 

Holy. This is as much an experience as an album, with Sumac leaning into extremely experimental noise passages before sliding effortlessly into some of the most punishing and brutal Sludge you will hear all year. Challenging but incredibly rewarding if you can survive it. 


 

Reincarnation by Aklash

UK Black Metal staples Aklash are back with their most complete sounding work yet! If you've never listened to Aklash, almost I hate to spoil the surprise but this is actually a near perfect blend of Black Metal and NWOBHM, which is very silly but extremely fun, and surprisingly good?


Under the Shadow of a Foreign Sun by Piah Mater

 Over to Brazil for this excellent Prog-Death cut, smooth as silk and plenty of fun little diversions into Melodeath and Black to keep you on your toes. Everyone's comparing it to old Opeth and I'd struggle to disagree, absolutely give this a spin if that's your jam!


Heavenly Down by Sear Bliss

Huge thanks to Adam McD for putting me onto this one, this is some absolutely lush Atmospheric/Symphonic Black Metal, with a trombone being front and center as one of the key instruments?! It whips, and is well worth a spin for hearing the concept play out alone, and that's before I even mention the steelpan! Extremely fun.

 

Voice of Storms by Horseburner

Look, I could mess around and say 'Oh, it's Proggy Sludge, with a mix of semi harsh vocals and pretty clean guitar leads' but I'll just cut to the chase. This is unashamed Baroness worship, end to end. That said, it's very good Baroness worship, and I like Baroness, so it's a big thumbs up from me.


From Low Beams Of Hope by Pijn

Lastly this week, something of a palette cleanser, the new Pijn album! Pijn are the other half of Curse These Metal Hands alongside Conjurer, but in their individual capacity they play some absolutely lush post-rock. Think GSY!BE meets the chill bits of Panopticon. Not my usual, but nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment