Saturday, 16 November 2024

17 November 2024

The people have spoken and their demands will be met, THE RECOMMENDATIONS SHALL RETURN


Mother of Graves are BACK with their followup to 2022's Where Shadow's Adorn. I loved that album to bits and yet they've somehow managed to outdo themselves with incredible aplomb. This is the best Melodeath/doom album of the year, and potentially an all time classic in the genre. Absolutely fantastic.
 
Five The Heirophant are FINALLY back with a new full length and man it was worth the wait. Weird, hypnotic doom, tastefully flavoured with jazz and prog. Almost nothing sounds like FTH, and if you've never stumbled across them and like your stuff contemplative and experimental you're in for a treat.

 
Truly evil black/death from the unstoppable supergroup that is Black Curse. Overwhelming and absolutely dripping in ferociousness from end to end. This will flay the skin from your bones, not for the faint hearted but it absolutely whips.
 
DO YOU LIKE DEATH METAL? DO YOU LIKE RIFFS? DO YOU LIKE FUN? UNDEATH once again showing why they're some of the absolute best in the business, just riffs for days, and just the perfect mix of pace and aggression that always knows the precise moment to switch things up in a way that makes me grin like an idiot every time.
 
The UK's premier pervayors of Hyper-Black (Blackcore?) are back once again with another absolute banger, pushing their unique sound to new places, but retaining their signature ferocity and melodicism. As I said with FTH, if any of that sounds your cup of tea give this a spin, there's no-one that sounds like Spider God!
 
 
 ORYX play that kind of Blackened Doom that ends up circling around and becoming Sludge and I just can't get enough. Crushing and beautiful, and a testament to how crazy good the Denver scene is atm

Muuntautuja by Oranssi Pazuzu
 
 More Oranssi Pazuzu! Truly wicked Psych-Black, demented and unnerving but absolutely compelling listening. If you're familar with their past work, you know what you're in for but they've added in a lot of synth and Industrial elements that give a lot of texture to their already complex sound. I feel I've only scratched the surface of this one and I'll definitely be revisiting.
 
This technically falls under Blacked Thrash but Ayloss really pushes the boat out on this record on three titanic cuts, pummeling and furious, refining the already excellent Auriferous Flame sound into something somehow more passionate and complex.
 
MORE BLACK THRASH! A very different flavour this time around, with a perfect mix of spookiness and Punk creating a haunted house made of riffs! Very fun stuff.

 
 Don't even ask how I found this one, but I think I might be one of like 10 people in the world who's listened to it and that's a goddamn crying shame. Psych-black with summery yet off-kilter and acerbic vibes, if that even seems slightly in your wheelhouse, give this a spin, it deserves more love.

 
 
 I think I'd technically call this Atmosblack, but there's definitely arguments to call it Post-Black or Blackgaze, but the one thing I'd definitely call it is absolutely beautiful. I don't think I've been hit this hard by an album like this since Bull of Apis, Bull of Bronze last year. It'll tear your heart out yet somehow leave you feeling stronger than you did before. Wonderful.
 
 Last, but by no means least, the new full length from Glacial Tomb arrived! Riffs on Riffs on Riffs though this entire thing, with a perfect blend of Death, Sludge and Doom (Leaning more on the death side of things). There's a secret Khemmis song hidden in the middle of Enshrined in Concrete, and Abyssal Host has one of my favourite moments on any song this year. OUGH! I had the pleasure of seeing a lot of the creative process going into this album, so I can vouch for how much care and passion went into every inch of this thing from writing to production, a true labour of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment